When searching for a new job it is tempting to check that one website that everyone knows, see if there are any updates, rinse and repeat. Yet finding a job has become much more dynamic than that. In fact, only about 20% of your job search time should be spent on these websites. To find out what to do with the other 80%, read on.
The most important tool today for finding a job is LinkedIn. You must ensure that your LinkedIn profile is up to date and that it has indicated you are looking for new opportunities (a setting that the website offers). This will alert employers and recruits about your profile when they are looking for new applicants. If you have never used the premium features before you can likely start a premium account for a limited time for free. This will allow you to see what qualifications are applying for other jobs and give you greater insight.
The second most important approach is to talk to a recruiter. There are generally two types of recruiters, the ones are needed to fill low skilled jobs and spend their time hiring entry-level positions with high churn and the ones focused on high skilled jobs. Many top companies only hire through a recruitment company so by not approaching one or many, you are basically missing out on a wide range of opportunities.
The other area to really focus on is your professional and personal network. Don’t be shy about the fact that you are looking for a new job. Great opportunities often come from surprising places. Put the word out and you will be surprised by the random friend that messages you with a great idea.
In essence, to find the best job for you, you have to be active and enthusiastic about finding it. There are many incredible jobs out there, you just have to find the one for you.